Friday, April 28, 2017

Taking Projects Around the House to New Heights

April 1st, 2017 I went south to Kentucky for a two day arborist climbing course with EarthJoy Tree Adventures. They facilitate quick introductory climbing sessions for fun as well as the training program I enrolled in. When I arrived at their property I was greeted by an old farm house, a lot of the architectural features inside this house reminded me of similar construction in our home.


On your way back along the trail to the primary training areas you pass by a custom tree house featured on the Animal Planet show "Treehouse Masters".


You can see more of the tree house here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcgiwuffimM

Unfortunately, the focus required for the course didn't warrant the distraction of a camera during the training so I don't have pictures from the climbs. I did get a break after the courses to check out the Germantown and Maysville, KY area. Here is a shot of the small bridge over the Ohio river connecting Kentucky and Ohio.


A couple of weeks later the weather was nice enough to get some practice trimming trees around our property. This walnut was a good sturdy tree to try out some hand pruning. I'll also be rigging branches down, removing some larger limbs ominously hanging over our small garage.




  
For work positioning I'm using the Hitch Hiker 2 friction device in a dynamic double rope technique (DdRT). My configuration for ascent is known as the "rope walker" system.



The kids are enjoying spending more time outdoors in the nicer weather. They got creative with the neighbors and built this fort using a pile of left over lumber from our construction projects, complete with a chimney and downspout.


There must be some great spring season roadkill in the vicinity, a fleet of turkey vultures have been using our barn as their airport.



2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I am looking to restore a farmhouse similar to yours and was wondering if you could refer me to the builder you used. Please shoot me an email at samsutton04@yahoo.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. For the main addition we partnered with Dan Sharkey, http://sharkeyconstructioncorp.com/

      Delete