Monday, August 26, 2013

Yard (The Dust Bowl)

Well, we sort of have a backyard once again. A dozer came and flattened out the yard to a rough grade.  I ran a wire grid over the ground to smooth it out a bit more.  I gained a good appreciation for anyone that lived through the dust bowl era, there is silt getting caked everywhere.

We put down some grass seed and we'll be watering it everyday.

A few more random images from around the house.

The scrap pile.

 Trim in upstairs closet.

 One of the outlet boxes didn't line up with the cabinet so we made our own box.

Backer blocking for the crown moulding.

The carpentry station.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Trim and Old Doors Started

We built a jamb for the large archway and got casing on it.

With other doors hung baseboard trim can begin.

Some of the cabinets were set.

We've started stripping some of the old doors we found in the barn to restore them. We'll see how this goes, right now it's a major obstacle to getting the trim finished.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tile and Softener

The entry and bath tile is done.
Thanks to Bill over at Unique Surfaces for the great work!
We'll get pics of the bathroom tile job up once we get electrical and lighting up in those areas.

The water softener and new iron filter have been moved.

In other news.... a balloon landed in our yard this Saturday.

Window Finish Carpentry

We did the finish carpentry for the 14 new windows. I custom built jamb extensions, made my own stools, added an apron and casing.

To start, I make window stools with scribed horns cut out. A bull nose is routed into the front of the stool. Blocking material is placed on the rough framing to support the stool.

Insulation is shoved into any void.

The stool is placed with adhesive, shimmed level, and tacked down on the sides where the extension jamb will cover any holes.

Extension jambs are ripped down to fit, shimmed, and nailed. Insulation is added to the voids on the sides.

 Casings are mitered and installed along with an apron on under the stool.

A small return piece is added to the apron side.

I still need to put a cove moulding up under the stool. I didn't have the material on hand this weekend. After the cove is in place the windows will be ready for putty and paint.

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Steady progress is being made on the tiling of the two new bathrooms.

Bath 1

Bath 2

Backer board is in the entry: